Knowledge Monday – Reporting an Insurance Claim After a Hurricane
We have officially started Hurricane Season. During this 2020 Hurricane Season, top hurricane forecasters have anticipated up to 16 tropical storms, 8 of which will become hurricanes and 4 of which will become major hurricanes. If your property suffers property damage due to a hurricane, wind, water, or all three, it is important that you are prepared to file an insurance claim.
The following are 5 tips to help homeowners and businessowners with the filing of an insurance claim after a storm:
1. Document your loss. After a storm, it is important that you take pictures and videos of the damage. This helps your insurance company determine what the damage was right after the storm. You should also take an inventory of all your damaged property and keep any receipts of expenses you have due to the damage.
2. Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. When calling your insurance company be prepared to provide your policy number as well as a description of the property damage.
3. Mitigate your damages. After a storm, you might need to remove water from your home or perform temporary repairs to protect your property. If you perform any repairs, be sure to take pictures and keep any and all receipts.
4. Obtain a repair estimate. After your property damage, it is important that you obtain an estimate of how much it will cost to repair the damage to your property. This estimate will provide a better understanding of the amount required to repair the property.
5. Comply with your insurance company’s request. After you report your insurance claim, an adjuster will likely come to your property to inspect the damage. Be sure to make the property available for inspection and provide any requested documents to your insurance company.
Although dealing with an insurance company after a disaster is overwhelming, the above tips will help homeowners be prepared for the process. If you need assistance with your insurance claim, schedule a consultation with the experienced attorneys at Alvarez Law Group today. Call us at (786) 620-2820 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a consultation.